VOTE: voting continues on comp.unix.wizards

Eliot Lear lear at turbo.bio.net
Sat Oct 20 03:43:16 AEST 1990

This is getting to the point of absurdity.  Compounding one mistake
with another is just going to make things worse.

In news.groups you write:
>The most commonly spread lie is that I have kept the discussion out
>of news.groups out of some fear of the news.groups crowd.  Nothing
>could be further from the truth.  I have no control over who posts
>my articles to this group, and indeed, people continue to post
>articles about this vote to that very group.

First, I don't believe you anymore.  You have done your best to hush
discussion and keep criticism down.  In addition, you failed to work
with others who have your exact goal in mind.  You had no intention
of working with this group quite probably until I posted my little
followup to the same plethera of groups you used to convey your
feelings on the matter.  I cannot dispute the logic for wanting to
avoid news.groups, as it would be the easiest way to avoid a whole
bunch of ``no'' votes, and yet show the backbone that you have
support.

However, your public statements would lead one to the opinion that you
believe that only the people in comp.unix.* should be involved in
decisions regarding the namespace, and that all others are just
meddling in other people's business.  What you are forgetting is that
there are a whole bunch of news administrators who have already
aliased the group to comp.unix.internals.  Even if most of them
unalias the group, you will have a mess, because articles will be sent
to junk as a result of those who haven't.  In fact, even if the
esoterica group is created, the same will be true.  To create
unix-wizards without aliasing the other group would also be a waste,
because much of the discussion now belongs in one of the other groups,
and I would argue that we should give those groups a chance and the
system administrators a break before warping the namespace yet again.

While I admire your goal (although I dislike your duplicity), I agree
with Chip that now is not the time to change comp.unix.internals to
anything else, because of these problems.

>>Public announcement of a vote where sysops can see it is a basic
>>responsibility which you have abrogated.  Your attempt to spread
>>misinformation in order to justify your error is contemptible.  I
>>refuse to dignify your campaign with a vote.

I already have a call for votes from someone else that wishes to see
the issue decided.  I'm not going to post *ANY* actions on this
subject until you get together other individuals on this issue and
elect someone to handle a vote or what have you.  Again, I argue that
now a bad time for this vote.  Of course, who am I but your lowly
moderator to make such decisions?

--
Eliot Lear
[lear at turbo.bio.net]