RAM disk.

Brett McCoy brtmac at maverick.ksu.ksu.edu
Wed Oct 10 12:18:56 AEST 1990

In <KESSLER.90Oct9140542 at hacketorium.Eng.Sun.COM> kessler at hacketorium.Eng.Sun.COM (Tom Kessler) writes:

>Maybe you could tweak the file system to "know this" but for whatever
>I've found tmpfs to speed up compiles quite a bit.

Has anyone done any comparisons between compiling using a RAM tmp disk and
using the -pipe option on the compiler.  Seems to me that they would be
much the same since both use memory only and not a lot of temporary files
on a physical disk, they just go about it differently.  I'm still running
4.0.3c so I can't really try this out.

--
Too bad the universe doesn't run in a segmented environment with
protected memory. -- Wiz from "Wizards Bane" by Rick Cook