Duplicating ASCII bel in the tty driver (was Re: Changing tty drivers)

Boyd Roberts boyd at necisa.ho.necisa.oz
Thu Oct 25 10:26:32 AEST 1990

In article <CEDMAN.90Oct23083648 at lynx.ps.uci.edu> cedman at lynx.ps.uci.edu (Carl Edman) writes:

>No, no , no, no ! You didn't read what I wrote I explicitly stated that
>this would only apply to fixed hardwired "dumb" terminals in public
>access areas.

Good to see you like to present a standard interface.  When I dial up
and login and don't get my two bel's it'll certainly cause some degree
of worry.  Two bel's good, one bel bad.  Isn't that the scenario?

>On the other hand, for dialup lines on which most file transfer protocolls
>are run there is little (altough not no) chance of spoofs. So this
>would NOT apply to them.

And these dialup lines are not in ``public access areas''.  I'd say the phone
system is pretty public given that there is large N number of phones on
the planet.  And dialup lines are _not_ a security problem?  Be serious.

What you want is better user authentication, not ASCII bel's in the tty output.

Boyd Roberts			boyd at necisa.ho.necisa.oz.au

``When the going gets wierd, the weird turn pro...''