Trojan Horses

Kristoffer Eriksson ske at pkmab.se
Fri Oct 26 17:40:09 AEST 1990

In article <8645:Oct2521:49:5790 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
> Tell me: Why should I handle EDQUOT? Why should I interpret it
>as some sort of error? Who benefits if I thrash about upon this error?

As the user of a program I expect it to report ALL unexpected errors,
no matter whether the program knows how to recover from them or not.
*I* might be able to correct the error situation, and most importantly,
I absolutely demand to be informed if my data possibly did not make it
to the disk. That the program doesn't know how to recover from the error
is no excuse for not telling me about it. After all, there's no problem
detecting that there was some kind of error, the only problem occurs if
you absolutely must have the program automatically recover from the error
without involving the user.
--
Kristoffer Eriksson, Peridot Konsult AB, Hagagatan 6, S-703 40 Oerebro, Sweden
Phone: +46 19-13 03 60  !  e-mail: ske at pkmab.se
Fax:   +46 19-11 51 03  !  or ...!{uunet,mcsun}!sunic.sunet.se!kullmar!pkmab!ske