Finding Passwords

Louis Faraut jlf at mirsa.inria.fr
Tue Oct 2 23:01:44 AEST 1990

Hello interns !

Here is my little contribution to the logins Trojan issue .  It seems
to me that the problem happens because authentication is one-way only,
user -> computer . In the present login protocol, user could possibly
be a bad guy, computer is always "a good guy" . This is clearly a
false assumption :-(

What about a two-ways authentication, modifying the getty program to
oblige the computer to authenticate itself ?

This could be achieved the following way, by use of a secret keyword,
sort of secondary passwd :

	- CPU prompts "login:"
	- type your login name
	- CPU uncrypts your secret keyword and display it on screen .
(Each user keeps up his own secret keyword encrypted in a personal file ;
only the owner and root can read/modify this file )
	- CPU prompts "passwd:"
	- Now you can either type your usual passwd if the secret
keyword was right, or do anything else possibly aborting the session .

So, is there an easy way to attack this protocol ?

                           @
        	         /  //     //          Jean-Louis Faraut
                  //   /  //     //            Administrateur Systeme

jlf at cerisi.cerisi.fr | ESSI (Ecole Superieure des Sciences Informatiques)  |
jlf at mirsa.inria.fr   |               Sophia-Antipolis (France)             |

Sorry for bad English, I'm French, nobody is perfect :-)