Getting to root when the password has been lost

cooper in the shadows cooper at hpsrad.enet.dec.com
Fri Oct 5 08:50:35 AEST 1990

In article <4029 at sactoh0.SAC.CA.US>, jak at sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Jay A. Konigsberg) writes...
>While there are several ways of busting root that shouldn't be public,
>there _is_ one way normally available _only_ available to the System
>Administrator.

>Do a partial restore of the OS.

Unless the procedure has changed in the last 6 years you shouldn't
have to go this far.  You should just be able to reboot the system as
standalone and you are automagically logged in as root from the
booting terminal.

Please note that I didn't see the original message so I could
definitely be missing something here.

				shades
| He paid too high a price for living | Geoffrey D. Cooper                 |
| too long with a single dream.....   | cooper at hpsrad.enet.dec.com	   |
| decwrl!hpsrad.enet.dec.com!cooper   | home (617) 925-1099                |