ioctl's that flush typeahead on SunOS 4.0.3

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Wed Oct 31 11:02:27 AEST 1990

>There was a patch from me sent to comp.unix.internals a couple or
>three weeks ago to remove this feature, although some (a well
>respected net.type) feels the flushing is the correct behavior.

I wouldn't entirely agree with the aforementioned well-respected
net.type; as indicated, in my view the *ideal* would probably be to use
M_READ notification *if that doesn't break 'poll()'* and have data not
be sent upstream in uncooked mode until it's requested.  SunOS 4.x
doesn't have M_READ; S5R4 does, but I don't know if it works with
"poll()".

The main point in my postings was that the flushing *was* stuck in for a
reason, and that if it's taken out the person taking it out should
either be prepared to have the undesirable behavior removed by the
flushing reappear, or add in more stuff to keep that behavior from
reappearing....