Watch, Spy, whatever you wanna call it

Keith Gabryelski ag at cbmvax.commodore.com
Thu Oct 18 11:09:54 AEST 1990

In article <15139 at cbmvax.commodore.com> I wrote:
>In article <1990Oct2.022530.15042 at celebr.uucp> jbm at celebr.uucp
>(John B. Milton) writes:
>>Hmm. As far as I know, this has not been done for UNIX. This was
>>available under TOPS/20, I think it was called ADVISE.
>
>I, infact, wrote one last weekend.  I will be posting it to alt.sources
>in a few days.  It works under System V Release 4 STREAMS (and can be
>ported to earlier streams versions).

I posted advise to alt.sources yesterday.

To accept advise attachments to your terminal, you type:

	$ advise -a			# use `-d' to disallow advise attaches.

To advise someone who has done the above, type:

	$ advise [username or ttyname]

`advise -a' pushes the advise module on the advisee's tty stream
(below ldterm) and sends down an ioctl allowing advise attaches.

A would-be advisor (by typing `advise username') opens up /dev/advise
and sends down an ioctl to attach to ``usernames's'' terminal.

At this point, all messages that get to the advise module's write-put
routine get copied to any advisor's that have attached.

Any stream M_DATA messages sent down /dev/advise get put on the
advisee's read side queue (just below ldterm) as if the advisee's
driver had recevied them.

Pax, Keith

Ps, there is no way in hell you will get this code to work on
non-stream based ttys sub-systems.