Finding Passwords

Vadim G. Antonov avg at hq.demos.su
Thu Oct 11 03:45:50 AEST 1990

In article <1849 at necisa.ho.necisa.oz> boyd at necisa.ho.necisa.oz (Boyd Roberts) writes:
>In article <1990Oct7.155203.13283 at hq.demos.su> avg at hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov) writes:
>>	Seems to me an appropriate hack is about 20 lines in a kernel
>>	and getty.
>
>`Hack' is the right word.  Sure, you could `hack' all sorts of mess into
>the kernel/getty/login but it wouldn't be UNIX.  The machine is supposed
>to allow you to get things done.  The kernel should not be cluttered with
>junk to cope with paranoid end cases.  The problem with these `hacks' is
>that they're more easily implemented than fixing the `problem' the right way.
>
>Boyd Roberts			boyd at necisa.ho.necisa.oz.au

I do not understand why such a remedy was not included in vanilla Unix from
the very beginning. May be we should fix it for good? Hey, Unix fathers!
Anyway it's better than ugly vhangup stuff (at least this syscall can be
throwed out).

And (of course) if Boyd thinks that 20 lines is 'a hack' he can implement
it with very haired security system containing some thousands lines of source
code :-) "Keep It Simple, ..."

	Vadim Antonov
	DEMOS, Moscow, USSR
	(It is a joke!)