RAM disk.

Richard Tobin richard at aiai.ed.ac.uk
Tue Oct 16 03:44:33 AEST 1990

In article <15785 at csli.Stanford.EDU> poser at csli.stanford.edu (Bill Poser) writes:
>Supposing that RAM disk is a wonderful thing, I don't see why it
>requires any change to UNIX. Couldn't the RAM used for this be
>treated as a device and mapped into the filesystem in the same way
>as any other block device?

It could.  Indeed, I believe there are people who sell boxes full of
slowish RAM chips as fast disks (this could also be useful for paging
on a machine which can't have more main memory added).  You might well
want to avoid the waste of having blocks from the RAM disk duplicated
in the buffer cache, however.

-- Richard

Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin at uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Edinburgh University.                UUCP:  ...!ukc!ed.ac.uk!R.Tobin