hot keys (was: Re: RAM disk.)

Marcus J. Ranum mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com
Fri Oct 12 09:55:20 AEST 1990

In article <12454 at chaph.usc.edu> tli at phakt.usc.edu (Tony Li) writes:

>This could be easily satisfied by implementing a different user
>interface to job control.  Or even by programmable function keys.  For
>example, you might bind one key to be: "^Z%emacs".  Poof.
>
>The difficulty is doing this in a consistent and portable way...

	Why does it need to be done in a consistent and portable way ?

	As far as I'm concerned, that kind of kludgery should be done
on an individual basis. (read: "keep it out of MY shell|kernel|editor|term")
The profusion of absurd command history languages is because it's easier
to build that gunk into the shells than to do it correctly, as a layer
that runs consistently (or even portably) on top of the shell, editor,
mailer, or whatnot.

mjr.
--
 coffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffee