suspension of long process

Thomas Hoberg tmh at prosun.first.gmd.de
Sat Oct 13 06:34:22 AEST 1990

I have thought a bit about that problem, too, some time ago. I never
implemented a solution, but I had the following ideas:

Programs like TeX, GNU-Emacs and some SCHEME interpreter I know use mechnisms
to either dump themselves (after having loaded some libraries) in a form that
can be restarted later, or some tool, to turn a core dump back into an
executable program. For the first variant, your program should install a
signal handler for some user defined signal to dump it, for the second, send
a SIG_QUIT to the programm to get a core dump, then manually 'undump' it with
that utility you hopefully found in the TeX or Emacs distribution, to get an
executable that can be restarted. I guess this is a bit messy, and I would
like to see a facility to force processes to the disk on the run in UNIX,
because it might generally make automatic powerfail restarts possible.

  ;-) Tom

PS. Tell me, if you got it to work!

----
Thomas M. Hoberg                                   tmh at prosun.first.gmd.de
GMD Berlin, Hardenbergplatz 2, 1000 Berlin 12, Germany   +49-30-254 99-160