C-lists & terminal printer spooling

Larry Williamson larry at focsys.uucp
Wed Oct 10 03:29:31 AEST 1990

In article <859 at zeusa.UUCP> Hendrik Vermooten writes:

 > Our system (XENIX 2.3.3) has an ARNET smartport on it. This thing has a
 > software feature (in the device driver?) called "simulprint", that
 > allows you to write to one terminal using any one of two device names.
 >
 > Now all this is very fine, the only problem being that not all cards support
 > this feature.

Not all cards may have this feature but many do. The Intellicon family
of cards from Connect Tech Inc ((519) 836-1291) has this feature.

I would suggest that this feature is more portable than the device
driver you suggest writing. Unless you are writing for an installed
base of users that already have their cards of choice and some of them
do not support this print though mode, you might be better off if your
software comes with a 'recommended hardware' list.

By the way, the Intellicon card's transparent print mode works just
great. But as you say, it is a good idea that the terminal user not be
too fussy, or they may complain on occasion.

-Larry