VOTE: voting continues on comp.unix.wizards

Eric Peterson epeterso at houligan.encore.com
Sun Oct 21 00:49:26 AEST 1990

jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:

| In article <Oct.18.15.51.56.1990.18091 at turbo.bio.net> lear at turbo.bio.net (Eliot Lear) writes:
| >Just so that there is no misunderstanding, on the whole Mr. Haugh's
| >vote does NOT follow the guidelines for newsgroup creation.
|
| You and the rest of the people who claim I am violating the guidelines
| have repeatedly been asked to mail me your favorite version of the
| guidelines so that I can point out, item by item, how I have adhered
| to the absolute letter of the guidelines.

In the end, it doesn't really matter whether or not you've adhered to
the Guidelines to the letter.  What really matters is how many system
adminstrators are going to respect your so-called "vote" to carry the
group.  By ignoring all the due process that has been established on
the net over the years, you've done more to kill comp.unix.wizards
than anything "T.E." Chip Salzenberg could ever do.

| Claiming that the guidelines are all
| "suggestions" and not "lawis" is not a valid complaint.  You never have
| to follow "suggestions", that's what the difference between a
| "suggestion" and a "law" is.

The "should" vs. "must" argument has come up many times.  However,
you've got to remember that the users of Usenet are *not* the ones who
ultimately have the authority over what group gets created and what
doesn't; it's the SAs who have it.  No matter how much whining you do
or how much arguing with you anyone else does, the SAs of the network
decide whether or not the group flies.

| However, since this red-herring continues to be used as a reason to
| oppose a legitimate vote, I have sent the "formal" "CALL FOR VOTES"
| to Eliot for posting.  At that point in time I suspect he will post
| a note saying the vote now follows all of these unstated requirements.

Somehow I doubt that.  Even Kent would agree with Eliot's reasoning on
this issue :-).

Eric
--
       Eric Peterson <> epeterson at encore.com <> uunet!encore!epeterson
   Encore Computer Corp. * Ft. Lauderdale, Florida * (305) 587-2900 x 5208