Help! modifying os to support >14 char filenames (sys V.3)

Miguel A. Ramirez machina at uts.amdahl.com
Wed Sep 26 17:12:00 AEST 1990

In article <PCG.90Sep21142146 at odin.cs.aber.ac.uk> pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
*On 19 Sep 90 06:18:17 GMT, machina at uts.amdahl.com (Miguel A. Ramirez) said:
*
*	[ ... on how many user programs have an hard coded 14 for the
*	max length of file name in a System V environment, and thus
*	would not respond to a change in a #define ... ]
*
*
*Maybe I should have written 'an easy (relative to the other
*alternatives)

Yes, this would have been better.
[...]
*
*machina> No?  But I thought it was an easy hack?  --
*
*You seem so sure, you must have done so. So please, for our information,
*post a list of commands and libraries in the standard System V
*distribution that have an hard coded 14, the relative percentage of
*source files, and in how many places for each.

Ah Piercarlo, I'd love to! Especially since I have to gives this info to our
test group.   But company policy prohibits me from giving
away valuable information. Trust me, if you ever have the pleasure
of working on a Amdahl running UTS 2.1 or greater you'll see what I mean.

--

Miguel A. Ramirez, | machina at uts.amdahl.com | {sun,uunet}!amdahl!machina