Finding Passwords

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Thu Sep 27 03:21:34 AEST 1990

In article <50845 at brunix.UUCP> cgy at cs.brown.edu (Curtis Yarvin) writes:
> You should be able to prevent this.  SunOS (and thus likely BSD as well,

And most UNIX systems, these days...

> make the first login prompt [special] and switch to plain "login:" if
an incorrect password is entered.

Yes, so you have to be smarter about your response. One that I saw a decade
or so ago had a whole array of plausible error messages...

Trojan horse login programs still live. A rather clumsy way of working,
I think. There are lots more interesting places to put trojans, especially
if there's a public bin directory out there...
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`
peter at ferranti.com