c.u.wizards vs. c.u.internals

Aaron Sherman asherman at dino.ulowell.edu
Sat Sep 8 05:34:40 AEST 1990

ggw at wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:

   In <BARNETT.90Sep6125844 at grymoire.crd.ge.com>
   barnett at grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) writes:

   >>   Well, I'm tending to agree with Doug Gwyn.  Doug's statement was
   >>   that he wouldn't be able to discuss UNIX internals because his
   >>   license prohibited him from doing so.
   >
   >What does the NAME of the newsgroup have to do with anything?
   >
   >As I understand it, John and Doug can post Unix(TM) articles in a
   >newsgroup called comp.unix.spam, but can't legally post a SPAM recipe
   >to comp.unix.internals?
   >
   >No-one said people are *required* to discuss proprietary info in
   >c.u.i. If your license prevents you from doing so, then don't post
   >anything proprietary. Hasn't this always been the case?
   >
   >Am I missing something here?

   No, Bruce, you aren't missing anything, except perhaps the view of the
   pouting faces of Doug Gwyn and John Haugh, III.  They are (apparently)
   quite miffed that "their" newsgroup was renamed under their noses.

   [...]

   No, the only thing preventing them from continuing to discuss whatever
   they were discussing before the group was renamed is a lot of ego.  Its
   too bad that some of the most erudite contributors to c.u.wizards are
   going to let their inflated sense of self-importance lead them to think
   that they can abridge the consensus to the net by picking up their ball
   and going home.  It looks more like they are going out into the yard to
   eat "worms".

Hmmm... I think that this is getting a little out of hand. I like the idea
of a group as broad in scope as comp.unix.wizards being broken up into
several groups. But the name "internals" does suggest discussion of that
which some of us have signed agreements not to discuss. Thus I suggest
that someone start a vote to change the name to something like "technical".
It's too bad that "wizards" was too broad, as it tended to keep the
l^Huser questions out (sometimes :), and managed not to sound like we
were giving away internal secrets.

No matter what we do, lets keep flames like the above out of it.

			-AJS

asherman at dino.ulowell.edu	or	asherman%cpe at swan.ulowell.edu
Note that as of 7/18/90 that's asherman at dino.cpe.ulowell.edu
"That that is is that that is not is not is that it it is."