Help! modifying os to support >14 char filenames (sys V.3)

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Wed Sep 12 04:16:17 AEST 1990

>>The standard file system with S5 releases prior to S5R4 is V7-based, and
>>has a 14-character limit on file names, yes.  S5R4 also comes with the
>>4.3BSD file system, which has a 255-character limit....
>
>Can you say POSIX compliance?

Yes, I can.  I can even say it on a system with a 255-character limit on
filenames; there is *NOTHING* about a limit higher than 14 characters
that violates POSIX.  POSIX says the *minimum* limit that a system may
impose is 14 characters.

The *actual* limit is pathname-dependent (consider an S5R4 system with
both S5 and UFS file systems mounted, for example), and its value for
some particular directory can be fetched with "pathconf()".