shmat() & shmdt() questions.

BURNS,JIM gt0178a at prism.gatech.EDU
Tue Sep 18 19:00:41 AEST 1990

in article <452 at cfa.HARVARD.EDU>, wyatt at cfa.HARVARD.EDU (Bill Wyatt,OIR) says:

> IPC_PRIVATE is useful, but is not needed for this example (see my second

Granted, he could have just as easily used the more general call:

   myshmid = shmget (some-made-up-not-in-use-int-id, 4096, IPC_CREAT|600);

but that paragraph answered his question about inheritance.

> point below about fork). In the example given, the idea is to keep the
> memory shared *only* between the parent and child, but it doesn't have

I assume you are talking about MY example, not his.

> anything to do with making the same ID access the same shared segment.

Since the id is inherited, it IS the same id.
--
BURNS,JIM
Georgia Institute of Technology, Box 30178, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
Internet: gt0178a at prism.gatech.edu