Controlling ftp via a pipe: using pty's on a pipe

Don Libes libes at cme.nist.gov
Thu Sep 6 03:28:22 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep5.034248.2458 at cs.umn.edu> wisdom at pico.cs.umn.edu (Scott Wisdom) writes:
>I am writting an application which needs to interactively control an
>ftp session. To do this, I have set up two pipes (an input and an output
>I can't find out how to do this. I've looked up everything I can think of
>in the manuals, consulted various advanced unix programming books, and
>even searched through usr/include. I can't find a lead anywhere...
>I'm out of ideas. HELP! Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this???!

You haven't looked hard enough.  In the most recent USENIX proceedings,
there is a paper describing how to solve this problem. The paper is
"expect: Curing Those Uncontrollable Fits of Interaction".

The software may be ftp'd as pub/expect.shar.Z from durer.cme.nist.gov.
If you cannot ftp, you may request email copies by mailing to "library@
cme.nist.gov".  The contents of the message should be (no subject
line) "send pub/expect.shar.Z".  Once you have retrieved the system,
please read the INSTALL file.  The paper mentioned above can be
ftp'd separately as pub/expect.ps.Z.

Don Libes          libes at cme.nist.gov      ...!uunet!cme-durer!libes