passwd

Dan Bernstein brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu
Wed Sep 26 06:50:24 AEST 1990

In article <24596 at adm.BRL.MIL> ITMS400 at indycms.iupui.edu (Manjit Trehan) writes:
> Is there any way to have the adduser program set passwords from a
> file.

It's usually a bad idea to store plaintext passwords.

> It seems to not use stdin to read the password, rather,
> opens the tty device to read the password (??).

Under BSD systems, the general solution to this problem is to run ``pty
adduser'' with the input and output redirected whatever way you want.
pty 3.001 and its first patch are available from me or via anonymous ftp
to 128.122.128.22; they'll appear on c.s.unix as soon as Rich gets
enough hate mail :-).

---Dan