Hacking the hackers

Kartik Subbarao subbarao at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Wed Sep 26 22:58:28 AEST 1990

In article <21456 at fs2.NISC.SRI.COM> bjork at NISC.SRI.COM (Steve Bjork) writes:

>In the cshell world, type the control z. If you suspend the hacker's
>program, you of course know it's a trojan. Make sure you know whose
>account it is (whoami).

And you don't think that the "hacker" in question is smart enough to
exec his program?

>In general, start every login sequence with your system's "abort program"
>command. This might catch something fishy someday.
>Argh, how I'd hate to have to be so paranoid in my life.
>This is equivalent to "shoot first, ask questions later."

Well - not exactly "shoot" first, but sort of like -- "let me call you
back to make sure you are REALLY who you are"...but anyway, I agree that it
would be really sad if a person would have to do such a thing all the time.

>Sigh.

Likewise.
			-Kartik

(I need a new .signature -- any suggestions?)
subbarao@{phoenix or gauguin}.Princeton.EDU -|Internet
kartik at silvertone.Princeton.EDU (NeXT mail)       -|
subbarao at PUCC.BITNET			          - Bitnet