shmat() & shmdt() questions.

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Mon Sep 17 20:44:39 AEST 1990

In article <452 at cfa.HARVARD.EDU> wyatt at cfa.HARVARD.EDU (Bill Wyatt,OIR) writes:

>Yes. One thing that bugs me is that there's apparently no way (at
>least under Ultrix) to mark a segment for deletion when its reference
>count goes to zero. As with semaphores and message queues, the useful
>file system semantics were not implemented, making these a pain to
>control. They are very useful, though, so I continue to use them.

Have you tried using shmctl(.. IPC_RMID..) to do this?  The feature of
not deleting the item until count goes to zero is usually not documented
for shared memory segments (although it is not only not-documented for
messages & semaphores, it doesn't work for them).  Try it, you may be
pleasantly suprised.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170