shmat() & shmdt() questions.

BURNS,JIM gt0178a at prism.gatech.EDU
Fri Sep 14 16:16:54 AEST 1990

in article <1990Sep13.121704.24384 at virtech.uucp>, cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) says:
> This isn't dangerous.  Once the shared memory segment is attached it
> is *supposed* to remain with the process (and therefore can move) even
> through forks. (since we are talking about a fork, we must be talking
> about the same kind of process and therefore there shouldn't be any
> difference between the two process (other than the return of fork) unless
> that vendor has broken something).

Oops! I was thinking of a previous discussion involving *un*related
processes. To quote TFM:

	  Fork causes the creation of a new process.  The new process
	  (child process) is an exact copy of the calling process
	  (parent process).  This means that the child process
	  inherits the following attributes from the parent process:

               [...]
	       all attached shared memory segments (see shmop(2))
               [...]

     Hewlett-Packard Company	   - 1 -  HP-UX Release 7.0: Sept 1989
--
BURNS,JIM
Georgia Institute of Technology, Box 30178, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
Internet: gt0178a at prism.gatech.edu