Unix error handling

Doug Davis doug at letni.UUCP
Tue Sep 11 05:33:07 AEST 1990

In article <tim.652548167 at Xsys> tim at Xsys..uucp (Tim Dawson) writes:
>david at Neon.Stanford.EDU (David M. Alexander) writes:
>>You must have been reading about AIXv3 setjmp() and longjmp() recently.
>I hate to pop this bubble, but setjmp() and longjmp() are NOT from AIX
>they are a part of the SysVR3 release from AT&T and are utilized within Unix

Uh, just to streighten the record a bit more, setjmp()/longjmp() in
user programs have been around since at least V7.  Basicly all they
are is a save/recover of the register states of a process, kinda like
push & pop or movem instructions, but from within a C program. Additionally
some os's may have special handling for external things, like signals for
instance, when returning to a state via a longjmp().

doug
__
Doug Davis/4409 Sarazen/Mesquite Texas, 75150/214-270-9226
{texsun|lawnet|smu}!letni!doug     doug at letni.lonestar.org

                                                              "Be seeing you..."