X11 bashing

Bruce Barnett barnett at grymoire.crd.ge.com
Fri Apr 26 00:25:41 AEST 1991

In article <.VYA9Y1 at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>   You young kids today. You're spoiled by all this memory!

Watch it! I cut my programming teeth on a Intel 4004 microprocessor!

>Use whitespace and comments!

I know how to use whitespace and comments. But does everyone else?

Sometimes white spaces are detrimental. Having the entire
routine on a single page is better than putting each command on it's
own line and making the code three times longer.
There are advantages to the lisp syntax. At least you can
parse the code without knowing each command and without REQUIRING
comments to document the operand stack.

Forth/PostScript has some nice points as an interactive language.  I
wonder if some special characters can be added to the NeWS/PostScript
language using a different font that allows a programmer to insert
special brackets that have no function but do allow vi/emacs and the
programmers to balance the stack parameters.
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett at crdgw1.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett