X11 bashing

Andy Newman andy at research.canon.oz.au
Wed Apr 17 22:09:19 AEST 1991

In article <14820 at helios.TAMU.EDU> byron at archone.tamu.edu (Byron Rakitzis) writes:
>I think the successor to X will somehow allow dynamic reconfiguration
>of the server (via, say, an interpreted language) so that the network/context
>switch bottleneck can be reduced.

With the advances in dynamic linking a graphics server could also allow
compiled code to be used, dynamic protocol extensions with the speed of
compiled code. Main disadvantage compared to an interpreted language
would be the increased chances of crashing the graphics/windows server
but there could be ways around that with more sophisticated memory
management on a per process basis. Either way a dynamically re-configurable
(i.e. extensible) server makes a lot more sense than the current X11
setup (pity NeWS uses a PostScript-like language).
--
Andy Newman (andy at research.canon.oz.au) Canon Info. Systems Research Australia
"X: 2. An over-sized, over-featured, over-engineered window system developed