X11 bashing

Jim Balter jim at segue.segue.com
Thu Apr 25 11:18:36 AEST 1991

In article <16818 at chaph.usc.edu> jeenglis at alcor.usc.edu (Joe English) writes:
>peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>[Barry Margolin wrote:]
>>> I don't think our image processing and animation people...
>>
>>Animation? Under X? The good animation stuff I've seen has an X-window
>>acting as a mask in front of proprietary high-speed graphics stuff.
>
>If I remember right, the "..." in the >>ed line
>originally read something like "would consider X to be a
>usable environment for their needs."  Why did you ellipsis
>the quote?  It makes it look like you're disagreeing with
>Barry.

No, you are the one who left out the critical context.  Why did you leave it
out?  Why did you put words in Barry's mouth that are the opposite of what
he said?

critical context, to which Barry responded, which Peter included, but
you omitted:

"Very well. I want xterms. Nothing more. I want to be able to pop
open 80x24 windows that emulate vt100s correctly."

Barry made the obvious observation that not everyone fits into that mold.
Peter made the (not so obvious) observation that X isn't enough either.