Shared libraries

Frank Mayhar fmayhar at hermes.ladc.bull.com
Tue Apr 30 07:35:22 AEST 1991

In article <148 at titccy.cc.titech.ac.jp>, mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta) writes:
-> In article <1991Apr24.231048.2987 at Think.COM>
-> 	barmar at think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
-> >(Multics does all dynamic linking by indirecting through pointers
-> >with a special trap bit set
-> If you want shared libraries, use Multics. Don't change UNIX to Multics.

Unfortunately, Multics is dead, dead, dead.  That means that if we want
shared libraries, we _have_ to use something else.  Since Unix is here,
we'll use it.  And as I've said before (before I got busy and lost track
of this thread), shared libraries _are_ useful.  Their usefulness, in fact,
outweighs the problems with them.  Why do you think shared libraries keep
being reinvented?
--
Frank Mayhar  fmayhar at hermes.ladc.bull.com (..!{uunet,hacgate}!ladcgw!fmayhar)
              Bull HN Information Systems Inc.  Los Angeles Development Center