X sucks (was: Re: Ware Ware Wizardjin)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Wed Apr 24 04:35:34 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr15.000020.21915 at digibd.com> rhealey at digibd.com (Rob Healey) writes:
> 	OK, I'll bite. WHERE is a window system that will run on all
> 	the systems X currently does, provides miraculous performance
> 	AND is easy to learn and for vendors to support?

Doesn't exist. Why? Because bad money drives out good. Where is the
incentive to do a better job than X if it won't buy you anything. Even
Sun has pretty much given up on NeWS (though why NeXT didn't polish
NeWS instead of starting from scratch only Steve Jobs can explain).

> 	I've heard ALOT of complaints about how bad X is, WHY doesn't
> 	anybody do something about it?

Sun did. Look where it got them. They've now gotta remain backwards
compatible with 3 window systems.
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter at ferranti.com