X11 bashing

xtdn at levels.sait.edu.au xtdn at levels.sait.edu.au
Sun Apr 28 14:23:44 AEST 1991

jeenglis at alcor.usc.edu (Joe English) writes:
>>Eventually they realised it and built a toolkit
>>that let you work with those objects,
>
> Actually, this was one of the original design decisions.
> "Tools, not rules" -- you can replace the toolkit
> if you want.  You can't do that on a Mac.

I'm not a Mac programmer so what I'm about to say is hearsay.  I have
heard it said (by someone who *is* a Mac programmer) that you can replace
pieces of the Mac toolkit; and that it's not hard to do that.  (Apparently
you replace the appropriate trap vector.)

Don't beat on the Mac, people, it's a fine attempt at a GUI and quite
possibly it's done more to popularise the concept than has any other
(related) product.  Sure it might have some warts but those guys were
forging relatively new ground.

David Newall, 16:32:56.04, Tuesday, 1991     Phone:  +61 8 344 2008
"Life is uncertain: Eat dessert first"       E-mail: xtdn at lux.sait.edu.au