X11 bashing

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA allbery at NCoast.ORG
Fri Apr 19 09:44:57 AEST 1991

As quoted from <1991Apr16.210107.41817 at eagle.wesleyan.edu> by amolitor at eagle.wesleyan.edu:
+---------------
| 	Very well. I want xterms. Nothing more. I want to be able to pop
| open 80x24 windows that emulate vt100s correctly. If you want to get fancy,
|
| 	I suppose, to be nice, such a windowing system should have hooks to
| allow it to interoperate gracefully with other systems providing graphics
| support and so on.
|
| 	I rather suspect that this windowing system could be written to be
| terrifyingly fast, and to consume negligable resources. I further suspect
| that it would provide a high percentage of the *useful* functionality of X.
+---------------

Sounds suspiciously like MGR.  (Well, MGR doesn't emulate a VT100... but it
could be modified to parse ANSI escapes instead of its own.)  It doesn't have
all the fancy libraries and such, but it has the basic functionality needed to
implement them.

The MGR binary and support stuff (mainly fonts, icons, and sample
applications) fits in 1/2 meg under SCO UNIX.  (It's slightly larger right
now, since I compiled it with -g to find the last few bugs in my port.)

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			  Ham: KB8JRR/AA on 2m, 220, 440, 1200
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		(QRT on HF until local problems fixed)