POSIX bashing

Jim Balter jim at segue.segue.com
Mon Apr 15 12:27:04 AEST 1991

In article <2391 at public.BTR.COM> thad at public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) writes:
>Oh?
>
>append  "xyz" to "ABC" gives "ABCxyz"
>prepend "xyz" to "ABC" gives "xyzABC"
>
>Looks to me like "prepend" is the antonym of "append" and is not directly
>related to "prefix" (whose antonym is "suffix).

You seem to be arguing from your conclusion.  "Looks like" based upon what?
Certainly not the dictionary.  Above you seem to be defining these words by
example.  You may *wish* that those examples defined the meanings, but that's
about it.  "prepend" is most certainly not an antonym for "append".  And
"suffix" is usually considered an antonym for "prefix" as *a noun*, although
"suffix" can be used as an adjective, in place of "append".

>If you can suggest or conjure-up a better "verb" to replace "prepend", I'm
>sure the lexicographers would annoint you.  :-)

According to Random House:

"prefix v.t.  to fix or put before or in front: _to prefix an impressive title
to one's name_".

If you are looking for lexical consistency (a hopeless goal), you could use
"postfix" in place of "append".

postfix "xyz" to "ABC" gives "ABCxyz"
prefix  "xyz" to "ABC" gives "xyzABC"