Shared libraries

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Fri Apr 26 03:55:47 AEST 1991

In article <136 at titccy.cc.titech.ac.jp> mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta) writes:
>As shown <112 at titccy.cc.titech.ac.jp> in comp.unix.wizards, total size of
>binaries excluding X11 is comparable to its machines real memory size.
>This means, real memory consumption is negligible unless we want to
>execute all binaries at once.

What mean we, white man?

The sum total size of all the binaries I regularly use (on kithrup, of
course) is about four or five times the size of kithrup's real memory
(kithrup has 8Mbytes these days).

Back before I got that additional 4Mbytes, the only reason kithrup was able
to run decently was because all or most of the system binaries were built
using shared libraries (uucp being the major exception, and the major cause
for system slowness as a result).

Not everyone has a system in which 8Mbytes is considered a small cache, you
know.

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."