X11 bashing

Marcus J. Ranum mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com
Thu Apr 18 11:43:19 AEST 1991

>Gee... This sounds a lot like NeWS does'nt it?

	NeWS is a pretty cool idea, but I just can't appreciate adding
PostScript to a network-based window system. Before everyone jumps on
me, let me explain:

	do an "lpq" on a machine with a few PostScript printers.

	PostScript can produce spiffy images, for sure, but it's just
too easy to produce 100K worth of glop to print a page. The idea of
*THAT* as the imaging model behind my window systems makes me afraid,
very afraid. *USUALLY* I realize that having PostScript in the window
system is a savings, but you have to make sure that your applications
are not stupid about doing the PostScript equivalent of bells and
whistles.

mjr.