X11 bashing

Bruce Barnett barnett at grymoire.crd.ge.com
Wed Apr 24 12:47:11 AEST 1991

In article <4_XAYQ1 at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>   >And perhaps
>   > the language is too awkward; postfix if's are hard to read.

>   How much actual programming in Postscript would you expect the typical
>   application programmer to do?

I think that depends on the toolkit and development environment. Using
tNt 2.0 and DevGuide, you can develop an application interactively,
and then link in the toolkit without writing any PostScript at all, I
believe. If you want to modify one of the widgets, you have to get
into PostScript programming, but it's Object Oriented, so that helps.

I agree about the language. The problem is parsing code like
	foo bar blatz mumble tilderoll
You have to know each operator and how many items it pops/pushes off
the stack. I really wish there was some way to add parentheses,
even if there were syntatic sugar. Too bad all of the bracket
characters are defined. I wanted to define a set of brackets to use
just to help me balance the operators...
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett at crdgw1.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett