Shared libraries

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp
Tue Apr 23 21:29:05 AEST 1991

In article <716 at seqp4.UUCP> jdarcy at seqp4.ORG (Jeff d'Arcy) writes:

>In short, your implication that shared libraries are useless is unfounded.

My original opinion is that X is useless so shared libraries are
useless.

>don't think I'm the only one who'd like to see more *facts* in your posts to
>back up your abundant opinions.

As shown <112 at titccy.cc.titech.ac.jp> in comp.unix.wizards, total size of
binaries excluding X11 is comparable to its machines real memory size.

This means, real memory consumption is negligible unless we want to
execute all binaries at once.

Moreover, as swap space is usually several times larger than real memory,
disk space consumption by statically linked library is negligible compared
to the consumption by swap space.

						Masataka Ohta