Slashes in file names

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Sat Feb 16 01:59:44 AEST 1991

In article <15898.27bc3908 at levels.sait.edu.au>, xtdn at levels.sait.edu.au writes:
|> So SysV has allowed filenames with 8-bit set for ages.  Sorry that I don't
|> have access to BSD right now, but I wouldn't think that it was different.
|> Am I wrong?

  Yes, or at least you are for 4.3.  Our 4.3 kernel sources show filenames
being rejected if they contain characters with the eighth bit set, and I've
verified that this actually happens.

  I can't find a similar restriction in the 4.3tahoe kernel, although the
structure is noticeably different, so I may be missing it.  My suspicion,
though, is that 4.3tahoe (and 4.3reno and eventually 4.4) remove this
restriction.  But stock 4.3 definitely has it.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace