Ideas for changes to Unix filesystem

Chip Salzenberg chip at tct.uucp
Thu Feb 14 06:03:58 AEST 1991

According to brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein):
>I already have fdunldilink() listed; it only removes a file if it
>has a specified number of hard links, device, and inode, with 0 for
>no restriction.  I think fdunldilink(0,st.st_dev,st.st_ino,path)
>would do the trick after an fstat(fd,&st).

Yes; fdunldilink() [what a name!] can simulate my fdunlink(), but not
vice versa; so fdunldilink() is the better choice.  I would suggest -1
for the "don't care" value, though, since st_dev could easily be zero.

It's too bad that Keith doesn't see the need for these operations.
But then, adding features to BSD never made my life any easier.  :-)
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip at tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
 "I want to mention that my opinions whether real or not are MY opinions."