more uses for mode 000 (was: Summary: What SUID, SGID...)

Steve Clark clark at cme.nist.gov
Tue Feb 12 10:17:27 AEST 1991

In article <CLARK.91Feb11160645 at discord.cme.nist.gov>, I wrote:
Steve> cd $HOME
Steve> echo ./subdir/hugedir | tar cX - .

Jonathan>   What version of Unix are you using?  What version of tar?

Ooops.  I made a mistaken generalization, it seems.  Since Gnu tar
does the obvious thing with the `-' filename after -X, I assumed SunOS
tar and, by extension, others would as well (and a rather unconscious
assumption it was, I might add).  I was wrong.  I hope this doesn't
set off two more weeks of "my tar does[n't]" messages ...

--
-steve