Slashes in file names

Chris Calabrese cjc at ulysses.att.com
Wed Feb 20 02:32:49 AEST 1991

In article <15898.27bc3908 at levels.sait.edu.au> xtdn at levels.sait.edu.au writes:
>sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
>> BSD has been using EINVAL to indicate an illegal filename (8-bit
>> set in one or more of the characters), I believe.

[ stuff about sVr1 intro(2) deleted]

>So SysV has allowed filenames with 8-bit set for ages.  Sorry that I don't
>have access to BSD right now, but I wouldn't think that it was different.
>Am I wrong?

8-bit seems to work on BAD to me:

936) > kk^?
937) ls kk*
kk?
938) echo kk* | od -c
0000000    k   k 177  \n
0000004

This is on a Solboune (Sun 4 clone) running OS/SMP 4.0D_Export
(something like SunOS 4.0.3) with the BSD Fast File System.

Name:			Christopher J. Calabrese
Brain loaned to:	AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ
att!ulysses!cjc		cjc at ulysses.att.com
Obligatory Quote:	``pher - gr. vb. to schlep.  phospher - to schlep light.philosopher - to schlep thoughts.''