Slashes in file names

xtdn at levels.sait.edu.au xtdn at levels.sait.edu.au
Sat Feb 16 06:39:52 AEST 1991

sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
> BSD has been using EINVAL to indicate an illegal filename (8-bit
> set in one or more of the characters), I believe.

Truly?  According to S5R1 intro(2):

    Filename.
        Names consisting of 1 to 14 characters may be used to name an
        ordinary file, special file, or directory.

        These characters may be selected from the set of all character
        values excluding \0 (null) and the ASCII code for / (slash).

So SysV has allowed filenames with 8-bit set for ages.  Sorry that I don't
have access to BSD right now, but I wouldn't think that it was different.
Am I wrong?

David Newall, who no longer works       Phone:  +61 8 344 2008
for SA Institute of Technology          E-mail: xtdn at lux.sait.edu.au
                "Life is uncertain:  Eat dessert first"