Help! There's a slash '/' in my filename.

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR allbery at NCoast.ORG
Sun Feb 10 08:02:35 AEST 1991

As quoted from <1991Feb4.231354.5305 at mtxinu.COM> by shore at mtxinu.COM (Melinda Shore):
+---------------
| In article <2665 at trlluna.trl.oz> mcf at trlamct.trl.oz.au (Michael Flower) writes:
| >The problem is NOT fixable using other UNIX commands, since they all reference
| >the file via namei, which knows about '/' as being a path component
| >seperator.
|
| This is not really true.  adb is certainly up to the job, and I suspect
| that emacs could do the trick, too.  As long as you can get into the raw
| device you have many options for changing the filename.

(GNU) Emacs won't do the job unless you've munged VALBITS and GCTYPEBITS to be
different from the standard, or you like 8MB filesystems.  And even with the
changed values, you're still limited to 32MB filesystems.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN