Source for Unix???

Michael Meissner meissner at osf.org
Mon Feb 18 08:54:13 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb13.185300.28927 at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
cy5 at cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) writes:

| >They don't.  And yes, they do know what V6 is.  I tried to get a local
| >university library to get a copy of Lions, he referred us to AT&T who
| >had bought it, and they said (paraphrased):
|
| I can't believe that a library would allow someone to purchase their only
| copy of a reference book.  Isn't there a code of ethics which prevents
| something like this?  Surely there is a library out there with a copy.
| Would the Library of Congress in Washington DC have copies?

If they [Library of Congress] do, they would be bound legally by the
same constraints anybody else is.  Mainly, because the book contained
the source code to V6 [a trade secret held by AT&T], you were required
to have a valid V6 license to obtain the book.  The reasoning is the
same as for other restricted works, such as atomic bomb plans.
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner at osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Considering the flames and intolerance, shouldn't USENET be spelled ABUSENET?