Help with 4.3 mod to kill uninteruptable procs.

David Caswell dbc at cimage.com
Tue Feb 26 05:48:53 AEST 1991

.n article <1991Feb21.145705.27763 at cbnews.att.com> rock at cbnews.att.com (Y. Rock Lee) writes:
.In article <19065 at rpp386.cactus.org> jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:
.>Just for kicks, imagine some real slow device has been set up to
.>do a DMA transfer to some physical address that is held by the
.>process which is unkillable.  Imagine that you kill that process
.>and it exits.  Imagine the I/O completes and someone elses
.>memory gets trashed.  All that and more ...
.
.Please excuse my ignorance on the block devices (most of the time
.I work on character/streams device).

It's the character devices that are doing the DMA transfer.  Normal I/O
even if it is character-at-a-time is block I/O.