Help! There's a slash '/' in my filename.

Erik Naggum enag at ifi.uio.no
Wed Feb 6 18:33:38 AEST 1991

In article <HGJ.91Feb5193804 at sage.cc.purdue.edu> hgj at sage.cc.purdue.edu (hgj) writes:

> ...  For the / character, I would reccomend editing the directory
> (dired/dired.el) and renaming it to something harmless.  Or, if you
> really want to teach yourself not to do it again, write a C program
> to change the name field of the proper inode struct.  (Relatively
> easy, I would imagine)

Wrong.  `/' in the file name cannot be cured even by Emacs.  Also,
there's no "name field" in the inode.  Names are contained in special
files called directories, which have an inode number and a name for
each entry (at least).

> Anyways, no need to get drastic or root in either case.

Sadly, yes, there is.

--
[Erik Naggum]					     <enag at ifi.uio.no>
Naggum Software, Oslo, Norway			   <erik at naggum.uu.no>