Ideas for changes to Unix filesystem

xtdn at levels.sait.edu.au xtdn at levels.sait.edu.au
Sat Feb 9 16:09:49 AEST 1991

bzs at world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
> But if it can be flink()'d at all then we assume you could seek to
> zero and copy all the data out of the file to your own file anyhow, so
> that's not a new opportunity. And whether you can read or write is
> dictated by the setting of the inode and how the original fd was
> opened which is independent of flink() entirely.

Copying a file now gives access to the current contents later.  Flinking
a file now could give access to the future contents of that file.  This
may not be desirable.  It is, however, unlikely to be a major problem to
the aware programmer: an appropriate file mode solves all!

I do like the idea of flink().  The suggestion (I forget whose it was)
of fdunlink() seems appropriate, too; it sounds quite balanced.

David Newall, who no longer works       Phone:  +61 8 344 2008
for SA Institute of Technology          E-mail: xtdn at lux.sait.edu.au
                "Life is uncertain:  Eat dessert first"