Daemonizing question...

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Tue Feb 26 09:37:18 AEST 1991

>Apparently when the daemonizing code was written "/dev/null" (a more
>likely candidate) was not gauranteed to exist under all flavors of
>Unix (may still not for all I know ;-).

It's not *guaranteed* to exist under *any* flavor of UNIX; somebody
could have removed it, for example (see "comp.unix.aix", I think, for an
example of a system bug that blows it away).

It's *likely* to exist under all flavors of UNIX, including 4.xBSD,
whence that daemonizing code came.

You may or may not care whether your daemon can cope with "/dev/null"
being missing or unopenable.