(was slashes, now NFS devices)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Thu Feb 28 06:30:51 AEST 1991

In article <468 at appserv.Eng.Sun.COM> lm at slovax.Eng.Sun.COM (Larry McVoy) writes:
> Nobody, including RFS, has ever come up with networked devices in any
> sort of general fashion.

Intel's OpenNET seems to do a pretty good job of it. Consider (bridge is
running System V/386, xds13 is running Xenix/286):

% net name
//xds13
% stty -a < //bridge/dev/console
speed 9600 baud; line = 0; intr = DEL; quit = ^|; erase = ^h; kill = ^u; eof = ^d; eol = ^`
parenb -parodd cs8 -cstopb -hupcl cread -clocal
-ignbrk brkint ignpar -parmrk -inpck istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl -iuclc
ixon ixany -ixoff
isig icanon -xcase echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh
opost -olcuc onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel cr0 nl0 tab3 bs0 vt0 ff0

Shared memory files are about the only thing I've found not to work over
the net.

> RFS works is that it "knows" about the server.  This means that the
> server had better have the same byte order, have the same kernel, etc.

Well devices on DOS and VMS systems aren't in the filesystem space, so
there's not much you can do about them. But you can do pretty much stuff
*from* them.
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter at ferranti.com