DES export regulations. And what to do about it!

Amanda Walker amanda at visix.com
Tue Jan 8 04:25:27 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan5.022309.19716 at NCoast.ORG>
allbery at ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) writes:
>That isn't the intent.  Despite the fact that it's all for nought, the U.S.
>government is worried about hostile foreign powers violating *its own* privacy
>by decrypting its DES-encypted data.

Not so, as I understand.  DES is only approved for unclassified data.  For
any kind of classified communication, other (non-public) encryption methods
are used.
Amanda Walker						      amanda at visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda
--
"I was born in Iowa--I just *work* in outer space"	--Star Trek IV